Tuesday, March 4, 2008

A Matter of Life and Death

Life and Death- you know that people say birth is a miracle but along the same vein so is death. Think about it, a life is brought into this world and one is “taken away.” I just read The Five people you meet in heaven- “coincidentally” the day I lost someone. I say that because there are no coincidences- everything happens for a reason, and there are signs everywhere. In the book the author says- the end is actually the beginning of something and I do believe that is in fact the truth for those who die Everyone has their own belief of what happens when you die and its usually tied to something religious. To tell you the truth I don’t really have a concrete answer as to what I think when someone dies but I do believe that it has to be just as amazing as birth. I believe this even for the most horrible human beings on earth. According to Mitch Albom’s book there is no pain, just a deep feeling of calm. Total serenity. All of your ailments are gone and you feel truly at peace. It is supposed to be so profound and indescribable that the only word I have ever heard to describe it is as “peace.”

Death like birth is a right of passage and although those who are left on earth in a human existence mourn this rite is something to be revered. I always feel sadness when I hear of death of good people but at the same time I know that where they are and what they feel after life must be so incredible and untouchable- that is why it is an enigma to the human race and we constantly try and find some way to describe it. The same way only a mother can tell you the beauty (and pain) of becoming a mother the same thing can be said for death. Perhaps it is even more profound since no one is left to tell the tale.

When someone you were connected to in a good way dies we lament but at the same time we are a bit relieved because we may hold the belief that they are in fact in a better place. They have to be, right? I mean there is no way to know or describe it but I don’t believe that your existence ends right at the moment of your death. You continue to exist in people’s hearts, dreams, thoughts prayers and sometimes more. One of Albom’s characters points out why people feel like they have to go t funerals. It’s because “the human spirit knows deep down that all lives intersect. Death doesn’t just take someone it misses someone else." No man is an island.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow...I just posted a mini-entry on coincidences! I hadn't read this yet.

Everything you state is so true. I think what makes death so difficult to deal with is the pain that we feel when we lose someone. It is the ones who are left behind still living with memories that suffer.

There are no coincidences that is for sure.

Alicia said...

I have to read that book! Life and Death seem both equally difficult to me. For Life, hope and love keeps me going, and for death, the love and the memories helps me remember and never forget.
Ur blog made me shed a tear. =)

Jason Clinkscales said...

In all honesty, I struggle with this one... still. Knowing that those I cared for, admired and loved unconditionally are somewhere better may ease those pains, but there are those days when it's not going to cut it. There's a phenomenal balancing act with it all.

However, you made a great point about what really is the end. I tend to believe that those I've lost in my life are more or less involved in what happens to me and mine no matter what. They may influence good or bad events, they may reincarnate in a child's spirit, they may pop up in a memory, but they're not gone. It's hard for anyone to understand this, unfortunately, until it happens.

Funny thing about Albom; he's not well-revered by some as a sportswriter, but he is beloved for these books.