Thursday, June 5, 2008

Keep Playing Yourself

Now keep in mind that I'm an artist. . .and I'm sensitive about my shit." -Erykah Badu

For real tho- I don't consider myself a lyrical artist at all. I am more of the visual kind but these words came to me literally years after an event that inspired them:



You saw his style you liked his swagger
said "what the fuck this shit don't matter,
If it gets back to her it'll be through him and by that time
I should be done with him."

Claim to be down for the cause
thats why you give up them draws
Of course he was down too,
Whats a nukka to do,

Especially when you throw it at him. . .


But once again you thought yourself so fly,
thought that he would give you a serious try
but you gave that shit up at warp speed,

Bitch please

Luckily I'm grown so I get over it fast.
Thought you'd use ur sex once again
as means to your own end.

I got ur message little girl
To bad that shit you do is so tired.

Its all said and done, much time has gone by
You still play those games between yourself and others
Being that "powerful" person between the covers.
I forgive you becasue u can never touch me.

Never Be Like Me
Look Like Me
or Have What I Have

You sent ur message thru a friend of mine
but all secrets come out in time
Both of you are sorry, and transparent fools
think you are unique, cuz u don't take heed to the rules

Go through men like another notch on your belt
You a player only because you be playing yourself

3 comments:

Jason Clinkscales said...

It's good to share the words that inspired you. We all have a few that helped kickstart the creative addiction, regardless of the drug we choose.

Forgive me for asking, but where did that come from? That was ill!

Anonymous said...

GOOD STUFF!

I felt the situation, like I was there.

Keep it up!

-C.
http://sincerelyc.tumblr.com

Anonymous said...

Was that about me?? Just kidding! Love it! My favorite line is she's like my fourth cousin...twice removed. Classic.