Thursday, June 5, 2008

A Family Affair

In response to the question as to what inspired the other poem, i have created another poem for the answer- go me!! I have written, like, 4 poems EVER in my life so again this is no Edgar allen Poe---it doesn't even rhyme, but hey it suits its purpose.




A while ago I had a friend who I treated like a sister
Until she became so needy that she wanted me like a mother
I supported her and supported her like only family does.

I had another friend who was a brother of my lover
And these two strangers crossed paths.
They hung out briefly, while in mixed company
No one thought anything of it.

But moving on. . .

She was kind of a mess and only getting worse
So like a best friend I told her to shape up---
Stop playing yourself.

She didn’t like it and I couldn’t stand it so
we divorced.

We were now separated and she pursued
Her now acquaintance and attempted
A physical encounter.

While in his company she divulged her true feelings
And kind of dogged me out.
Of course she was mad cuz I was the one who filed for divorce
And I had everything and she got nothing in the settlement
Oh well, I said, because
He is tied to my family and you have no place
In this family court.

Some time went by and we crossed paths again
But now I am not attached.
She lives her life in the same way and I do not.
I do not waste my time trying to help those who do not help themselves.
I love her. I feel sorry for her. But I am not indebted to her.
She is like a fourth cousin, twice removed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it. I love how you answered the question. It's great!

Indebted to no one is right. And it is certainly not your job (or anyone else's) to play mother.

Seriously, keep it coming.

-C.
http://sincerelyc.tumblr.com

Wuthering said...

interesting. love your poem. i'm still deep in thought (lol).

it's hard just cutting people out of your life. yet, sometimes its hard to deal with too much foolishness. goes back to your great expectations thread, while you can't control the intellect and reasoning of others, you sure can control the time you spend having to understand those waters that may probably stay murky for a LONG time.

Yes, I agree C. KEEP it coming!!

Jason Clinkscales said...

Well done. Cutting people out of our lives is tough, but you'd hope that with time comes maturity and the hopes of reconnecting. Yet, when that is not the case, what can you do?