Thursday, May 1, 2008

Little Miss Bossy


A dictionary definition will tell you that bossy means the following : given to ordering people about; overly authoritative; domineering. Ha! “ordering people about” sounds British or something. It also makes me laugh. There is such a negative meaning around it.


I remember the first time I heard someone say that I was bossy- I was taken aback. I refuted it. I became defensive. . . .I also was about 11 years old. This goes to show you that I had a strong character then. Upon much reflection and into my later teen years I realized something—shit, I am bossy. I have learned to reign in this trait and refine it. I realize that being bossy isn’t the best personality trait, but being the perpetually balanced Libra that I am I do not worry about because I am also very diplomatic. To be honest I was just very vocal about my opinion and being young and naïve I just thought that everyone had strong opinions and better yet, perhaps they agreed with me.

Of course come to find out that some people don’t , but some people do. Such is the beauty of life my friends, you can choose to agree or disagree. Opinions are like assholes. . . . . everybody’s got one.


Bossy can be bad, but it can also be good. There are many women out there that are considered bossy bitches because they are ambitious and go after what they want. They may also be perceived as a bossy bitch because they know what they don’t want. What if a man were to be called bossy? I don’t think I have ever heard of it but I am sure the men are perceived as “no nonsense” and “strong” because they are in control of their world and have the guts to say and do what they want whatever the circumstances. So why is it when a woman is the one being upfront and not afraid to speak from the mind and heart that she is bad? Now she ‘s a bitch, mean, whatever adjective you choose. I beg to differ. Both men and woman are not so black and white. We are multidimensional creatures. As for me my strong will and strong feelings are shown when I feel passionate about something. This may occur under different circumstances. Whatever the case may be I am one with strong convictions and that doesn’t bother me. I am fully aware that it may bother others. . .but then maybe those people should have stronger convictions about themselves.

Life is good, indeed, but it isn’t all marshmallows and butterflies. Standing up for what you accept and what you don’t want will undoubtedly cause a difference of opinions and/or reactions but you must stand for something. Be realistic about what you want and what does not fly with you. If you are clear about what is acceptable or not acceptable in your world and why, then you will be alright. There is nothing terribly wrong with being bossy when you are expunging negativity from your world. Maybe if we all took some bossy classes then we would have more of what we want in our own lives as opposed to wishy washy bullshit that distracts you from your true goals. Sigh. . . .once again these are merely opinions. . . .and everybody, even you, has got them ; -P

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bossy. Argumentative. Confrontational. Difficult. Impossible. Inflexible. Close-minded. Manipulative.

These are all words that others have used to describe me at one point or another. Like you, I was always vocal. It felt natural to me and it never occurred to me that others would take issue with my nature or feel offended and/or intimidated by it. As I've grown, I've struggled with maintaining my strong nature while knowing when it's time to take a chill pill and let things be.

And, of course, men seem to have more to say regarding my personality than women do. Also you make an excellent point about men never being called bossy. A man is arrogant, he is headstrong, he is a leader. But a word as silly as "bossy" is never used when referring to a man.

Women are hysterical, bossy, bitchy, and God knows what else.

Anonymous said...

Miss Assertive 2008!

Dude, I'm surprised anyone waited until we turned 11. Because Babe, Babe, ... that trait earned you your tag Spanish Red! But I digress, you did bring up a very good point, men are seldom, if ever called bossy. I can't recall in all of my 29 years when I witnessed that. I have yet to see that.

My experience with people who have issues with someone of your characteristics are those who are difficient or plum insecure and misconstrue speaking out/up as being rude. Someone's gotta do it. I remember that horrible misadventure with my TERRIBLE headshot, I wasn't even going to go to the audition, MISS ASSERTIVE said... go to kinko's print out a nice pic and if they want you, they want you... whatever, JUST DO IT... I did and I got it! Bull by the horns is good. A friend with that character trait is a blessing.... me, on the otherhand, my loud ass can hail you a cab, if you need it! LOL!

Love you,

Miss V